- Faith in the unknown
- There is safety in numbers
- Strength in what we are passionate about.
My husband and I went camping this Memorial Day weekend with two other family friends. Campfires are always filled with s’mores, laughter and ants. Flames mesmerize. Somehow creating a trance of time standing still, while the flow of water on river rocks and birds happily chirping create the ultimate surround sound.
Did someone say ants? You may eek at the at the thought of these tiny creatures crawling around, but they gave me something to think about when the heat turns up.
1) We don’t know why. Wait, sometimes we may. In this case, this water logged piece of wood was moved unknowingly to this ant family. When smoke and embers started creeping towards their home, they chose to survive and thrive by taking the situation head on. Not knowing where to go and running in circles, somehow almost choreographically, found their way to safety.
2) You need a leader, but you can’t lead without followers. Growing up many of us may have been taught to have take a buddy with us if we left home or walked away from the group. In the case of this ant team, camaraderie is all they knew. Coming together to find new shelter, it was easier as team. With limited time it is safe to say, there is safety in numbers in working together to find a solution and develop a plan.
3) What will you fight for? Groups of ants worked together to save several eggs, moving through smoke and hot spots to find safety. These strong little creatures are strong and know the definition of perseverance. Dropping an egg to the campfire floor, the troops gather to create the rescue.
When you are thrown in the fire, will you take it head on? In your business or life, there will be a time when something unexpected comes your way. A temporary displacement or unexpected event may just provide you the exact growth you have been waiting for.
Ask yourself this question, will you be the leader and gather the troops or will you choose to follow when the flame is blooming in the shadows. Ignite or become submerged in water and ash, the choice is yours.